Friday 13 June 2008

The last time I was excited about a record coming out...

The last time I was excited about a record coming out...

Was, I dunnow. I really can't remember. But now I am. The point is this, I've heard one track off it and it floored me. Its Cement Mixer by the mighty Jim Jones Revue. You can check it out here. I hope but doubt it'll make people delete Ting Tings from their etch a sketches but in the little world of garage bands, its gonna shake things up.

You see a modern day rock n roll band is great live, hard to beat. But producing a recording which rocks as hard as it does live is daunting. The White Stripes are probably the best at it, but they're a two piece, and the raconteurs recordings don't quite cut it. Don't get me started on how tinny and flat Foo Fighter records are. Recording a full band which will be as bold as computer driven sound bending machines or great as it is live was just not an option. Rock n Roll bands stick to vinyl and sound like Sonics, Stones, Led Zep etc....

Its not the bands, its the recording, just listen to the Jim Jones demos side by side with cement mixer and you can hear it. The recording just blows anything away you put near it. It oozes. Drips. Rumbles. It sounds huge. They've cracked it. Its a frickin call to arms and gosh darn it i'm signing up.

No comments:

 
Rock Music Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory My Zimbio